Business Development Jobs in Kolkata
Like other major metro cities in India, Kolkata is a focal point for businesses and startups, especially for the Eastern Indian region. It’s the third-most crowded metropolitan city in India. And while many wouldn’t compare Kolkata to be in the same ranks as Bengaluru, Mumbai, Delhi, or Hyderabad, it certainly holds its own for nurturing entrepreneurial talent and creating a plethora of exciting career opportunities.
As a business development executive in Kolkata, you’d think that driving sales is the only thing you’d have to do. That’s right to some degree, but there’s a lot that goes into being an excellent business development executive in Kolkata. Some of the additional responsibilities that BD executives in Kolkata have to shoulder, apart from driving revenue, are as follows:
- Work out the nitty-gritty of contract terms and conditions and communicate the same to the respective stakeholders
- Collaborate with in-house or external sales team to prepare and design contract-winning proposals for prospective and current clients
- Identify the target market and the potential clients within it
- Work together with product and design teams to establish the product or service specifications and ensure that they meet the deadlines
- Constantly stay in the loop about industry-specific news and market trends
- Maintain existing client relationships and simultaneously develop new relationships with prospective clients
- Conduct complete research in the business and equipment requirements of the prospective clients
- Specialise in the product/service being sold and know the ins and outs of operational processes
- Become a subject matter expert on business products, processes and operations
Basic Eligibility Criteria for Business Development Jobs in Kolkata
Business development executives in Kolkata must fulfil employers’ eligibility criteria first before moving on to the final round of interviews. Employers in Kolkata that usually hire personnel for BD jobs have the following requirements.
- Work Experience: Having worked in a sales, BD, or similar role in the past will certainly boost your chances of landing a BD job in Kolkata. That said, there is no rule set in stone that you must possess a certain number of mandatory work experience to qualify as business development executives in Kolkata. However, Kolkata BD jobs that do require work experience may ask for anything between 1 to 3 years of total work experience.
- Skills: It goes without saying that your skillset will be the ultimate determining factor for selection. Why? Because you will be competing with other candidates for the business development role in Kolkata. And it will certainly help if you have the relevant industry-specific skills to outshine others.
If you’re thinking of landing a business development role in Kolkata, then you should hone or develop some or all of the skills listed below.
- Problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Negotiation skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Organisational skills
- Good business knowledge
- Education: A bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in business administration. In the case of the latter, a business-specific qualification (specialization) might be needed. As a candidate for Kolkata business development roles, you must realize that the educational requirement may change from company to company.
Business Development Jobs in Kolkata - FAQs
1) What is the salary of a business development executive in Kolkata?
Here's what we have found for Business Development Executive jobs in Kolkata according to recent compensation software and data reports.
- An entry-level Business Development Executive with less than 1-year work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of INR 2,28,000 per year (including tips, bonuses and overtime pay)
- An early-career Business Development Executive with 1-4 years of work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of INR 2,96,324 per year (including tips, bonuses and overtime pay)
- A mid-career Business Development Executive with 5-9 years of work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation of INR 3,12,130 per year (including tips, bonuses and overtime pay)
- An experienced Business Development Executive with 10-19 years of work experience can expect to earn an average total compensation upwards of INR 6 lakh per year (including tips, bonuses and overtime pay)
2) What are ‘Trusted’ jobs on Waah Jobs?
Jobs on Waah Jobs under the ‘Trusted’ category are verified employer profiles that are trustworthy and reliable. Our team directly gets in touch with these providers to get more clues on the requirement and other terms.
You can easily filter out ‘Trusted’ jobs for any search result by using the filter on the listings page website. The ‘Trusted’ checkbox can be selected to only filter Trusted jobs from the rest.
3) Which industries hire Business Development Executives in Kolkata?
Companies from various sectors create employment opportunities for business development executives in Kolkata. Here are a few that have accelerated their hiring plans for Kolkata BD executives in recent years.
- Marketing & Advertisement
- Infrastructure/Construction/Real Estate
4) For how long should I be in a fresher or entry-level business development executive role in Kolkata?
Entry-level positions are good for learning and getting a taste of what the industry is like. It is okay to continue with your entry-level job for 2-3 years until you find a better opportunity that will help you grow professionally.
5) Do I need to create an account on Waah Jobs for applying to jobs?
No, you can directly apply to any jobs without creating an account with Waah Jobs. Although account creation is not mandatory, creating an account helps in tracking your job application and provides proper structure to your job hunt.
What’s more, you’ll be alerted of new or unfilled BD job vacancies in Kolkata via Email and SMS when you register so that you don’t miss out on opportunities.